New Zealand Campaign Medals - The New Zealand General Service Medal 1992 (Warlike)
About the New Zealand General Service Medal 1992 (Warlike)
This medal was instituted in 1992. It was issued in silver to recognise service in warlike operations for which no separate New Zealand or British Commonwealth campaign medal was issued. By the time it was replaced in 2002, four clasps had been issued for warlike operations between 1956 and 1991 in the Suez Canal region, Malaya, Vietnam and Kuwait.
The medal was awarded with a clasp to describe where an individual served. It is worn as a war medal, in order of date of qualification. The New Zealand General Service Medal 1992 has also been issued in bronze for non-warlike operations.
Design of the New Zealand General Service Medal
On the obverse is the Crowned Effigy of the Sovereign surrounded by the legend: “ELIZABETH II DEI GRATIA REGINA FID. DEF.”. On the reverse is the inscription “THE NEW ZEALAND GENERAL SERVICE MEDAL” within a wreath of New Zealand flora (pohutukawa blossom, fern fronds and kowhai blossom) ensigned by a Royal Crown. The wreath of New Zealand flora adds a distinctive New Zealand appearance to the medal.
The design and colours of the ribbon are based upon the New Zealand Medal 1845-1847 and 1860-1866, thus are directly linked with the beginnings of New Zealand’s military history. As the first occasion upon which New Zealand had issued a war or warlike service medal outside of the two World Wars or the Vietnam War it was considered that the link with the first military campaigns in New Zealand best reflected New Zealand’s military heritage.
The medal was designed by the New Zealand Herald of Arms, Mr Phillip O’Shea, in consultation with the New Zealand Defence Force.
The Royal Warrant for the New Zealand General Service Medal 1992 (Warlike) can be viewed here, and an amendment to the Royal Warrant is here.
Regulations are issued for each clasp.
Regulations For specified service between Further information and links to the Medals by Campaign table Near East 31 October 1956 and 22 December 1956 Awarded to personnel who served on HMNZS Royalist off the Egyptian Coast during the Suez Crisis Malaya 1960 - 64 1 August 1960 and 16 August 1964 Awarded for service on counter-insurgency operations in northern Malaya Vietnam 1 December 1962 and 1 May 1975 Awarded for service during the Vietnam War Kuwait 18 December 1990 and 12 March 1991 Awarded for service related to the Gulf War of 1990-91
Images of the four clasps for the New Zealand General Service Medal 1992 (Warlike) can be viewed here.
Order of Wear
The position of this medal in the Wearing of Medals in New Zealand Table can be viewed here. The NZGSM 1992 (Warlike) is worn in order of an individual's date of participation in a campaign or operation for which the medal was first awarded.
1. If a person qualifies for the NZGSM 1992 (Warlike) with clasp 'Malaya 1960-64', and with clasp 'Vietnam', and the Vietnam Medal, then the medals are worn in the order: 1) NZGSM 1992 (Warlike) (with two clasps); then 2) the Vietnam Medal.
2. If the award of the NZGSM 1992 (Warlike) is for Vietnam only or post Vietnam (i.e. Kuwait) they are worn in the order: 1) the Vietnam Medal; then 2) NZGSM 1992 (Warlike) with clasp 'Vietnam'.
Media Statements concerning the NZGSM 1992 (Warlike)
- 1 June 2016 - New Zealand entertainers now eligible for Vietnam medals
- 29 February 2008 - Medal for Vietnam veterans - applications called for
- 1 October 2007 - Vietnam Veterans to get Further Recognition
- 11 June 2001 - Medallic grievances addressed - NZGSM 1992 with clasps 'Near East' and 'Vietnam'
Media Statement concerning service by New Zealand personnel recognised by the NZGSM 1992 (Warlike)
- 4 August 2008 - New Zealand Red Cross search locates Vietnam welfare officers
How to apply for the award of the NZGSM 1992 (Warlike)
To apply for the NZGSM 1992 (Warlike) please complete NZDF Personnel Archives and Medals Form No. 1.
concerning service by New Zealand personnel recognised by the NZGSM 1992 (Warlike)
- McGibbon, Ian (editor). The Oxford Companion to New Zealand Military History. (published 2000). The entries on service recognised by the NZGSM 1992 (Warlike) are the entries on: the Suez crisis of 1956, pp.513-514; the 1990-1991 Gulf War, pp.210-212; and the Vietnam War, pp.561-566.
- Pugsley, Christopher. From Emergency to Confrontation: The New Zealand armed forces in Malaya and Borneo, 1949-1966. (published 2003). Which includes information on New Zealand's military involvement in Malaya / Malaysia from 1960 to 1964.
- Crawford, John. In The Field for Peace: New Zealand’s Contribution to International Peace-Support Operations: 1950-1995. (published 1996). Which includes information on New Zealand's military involvement in the 1990-1991 Gulf War.
- More information on Christopher Pugsley's and John Crawford's books can be found on the Bibliography page of this website.