New Zealand Campaign Medals - The New Zealand General Service Medal 1992 (Non-Warlike)
About the New Zealand General Service Medal 1992 (Non-Warlike)
The New Zealand General Service Medal 1992 was instituted in 1992. It was issued in bronze to recognise service in non-warlike operations for which no separate New Zealand, British Commonwealth, United Nations or NATO campaign medal was issued. Thirteen clasps have been issued for non-warlike (peacekeeping) operations since 1954 in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and the Pacific. In 2002, the NZGSM 1992 was replaced by the New Zealand General Service Medal 2002.
The medal is still issued to New Zealand personnel who are currently serving in the Sinai. This is because this operation commenced before 1 January 2000. Operations which commenced on or after 1 January 2000 are recognised by the New Zealand General Service Medal 2002.
The medal is awarded with a clasp to describe where an individual served. It is worn as a war medal, in order of date of qualification. The New Zealand General Service Medal 1992 has also been issued in silver for warlike operations.
Design of the New Zealand General Service Medal
On the obverse is the Crowned Effigy of the Sovereign surrounded by the legend: “ELIZABETH II DEI GRATIA REGINA FID. DEF.”. On the reverse is the inscription “THE NEW ZEALAND GENERAL SERVICE MEDAL” within a wreath of New Zealand flora (pohutukawa blossom, fern fronds and kowhai blossom) ensigned by a Royal Crown. The wreath of New Zealand flora adds a distinctive New Zealand appearance to the medal.
The design and colours of the ribbon are based upon the New Zealand Medal 1845-1847 and 1860-1866, thus are directly linked with the beginnings of New Zealand’s military history. As the first occasion upon which New Zealand had issued a war or warlike service medal outside of the two World Wars or the Vietnam War it was considered that the link with the first military campaigns in New Zealand best reflected New Zealand’s military heritage.
The medal was designed by the New Zealand Herald of Arms, Mr Phillip O’Shea, in consultation with the New Zealand Defence Force.
The Royal Warrant for the New Zealand General Service Medal 1992 (Non-Warlike) can be viewed here, and an amendment to the Royal Warrant is here.
Regulations are issued for each clasp.
Regulations For specified service between Korea 1954 – 57 27 July 1954 and 31 December 1957 Korea 1958 – 2000 1 January 1958 to 31 December 2000 Thailand 25 May 1962 and 15 December 1971 Sinai 25 April 1982 to present Indian Ocean 21 June 1982 and 20 September 1983 Peshawar 1 April 1989 and 31 December 1991 Bougainville 1 December 1989 to present Iraq 1 August 1991 and 31 January 2003 Somalia 26 December 1992 and 30 November 1993 Mozambique 1 February 1994 and 30 June 2005 Cambodia 1 March 1994 and 30 April 2005 Rwanda 1 August 1994 and 17 September 1994 Arabian Gulf 4 October 1995 and 31 December 2001
Images of the 13 clasps for the New Zealand General Service Medal 1992 (Non-Warlike) can be viewed here.
Order of Wear
The position of the NZGSM (Indian Ocean) in the Wearing of Medals in New Zealand Table can be viewed here. The NZGSM 1992 (Non-Warlike) is worn in order of an individual's date of participation in a campaign or operation for which the medal was first awarded.
Media Statements concerning the NZGSM 1992 (Non-Warlike)
- 23 February 2017 - Service at Bougainville Peace Talks Qualifies for Medal
- 11 September 2008 - New medals to recognise service in Korea since 1958 - the NZGSM 1992 with clasp "Korea 1958-2000"
- 15 January 2003 - New medal to be awarded for service in Thailand from 1962 to 1971 - the NZGSM 1992 with clasp "Thailand"
- 18 April 2002 - Medals announcements - Indian Ocean and MFO, Sinai - the NZGSM 1992 with clasp "Indian Ocean"
- 11 June 2001 - Medallic grievances addressed - the NZGSM 1992 with clasp "Rwanda"
Media Statements concerning service by New Zealand personnel recognised by the NZGSM 1992 (Non-Warlike)
- 18 April 2017 - NZDF Engineers hard at work in hot and cold
- 13 January 2017 - NZDF Engineers head to Sinai
- 11 May 2012 - Defence Force marks 30 years in the Sinai
- 3 March 2010 - New Zealander takes command of Multinational Force in Sinai
- 10 April 2008 - Postcard from the Sinai
- 10 September 2007 - NZ Soldier receives Commendation for Actions after Attack by Suicide Bomber (Sinai)
- 27 April 2006 - Update: Explosion in Sinai - New Zealand Defence Force Member Involved
- 26 April 2006 - Explosion in Sinai - New Zealand Defence Force Member Involved
- 30 June 2005 - NZDF Withdrawals from Mozambique and Sierra Leone
- 29 June 2003 - Defence Force Task in Bougainville Ends
- 28 March 2003 - UNMOVIC Media Briefing
How to apply for the award of the NZGSM 1992 (Non-Warlike)
To apply for the NZGSM 1992 (Non-Warlike) please complete NZDF Personnel Archives and Medals Form No. 1.
concerning service by New Zealand personnel recognised by the NZGSM 1992 (Non-Warlike)
- Crawford, John. In The Field for Peace: New Zealand’s Contribution to International Peace-Support Operations: 1950-1995. (published 1996).
- Bowd, Reuben R.E. Doves Over the Pacific: In Pursuit of Peace and Stability in Bougainville. (published 2007).
- More information on John Crawford's and Reuben Bowd's books can be found on the Bibliography page of this website.