New Zealand Gallantry and Bravery Awards - The New Zealand Gallantry Star (NZGS)
About the New Zealand Gallantry Star
The New Zealand Gallantry Star (NZGS) was instituted in September 1999 as part of a Government move to replace British awards for gallantry with distinctively New Zealand awards. The NZGS replaced the Distinguished Service Order, the Distinguished Conduct Medal, and the Conspicuous Gallantry Medals (naval and flying).
The NZGS is a silver eight-pointed star of equal points with, in the centre, a Royal Crown within a wreath of New Zealand fern fronds, both gilt. On the reverse is the inscription "FOR GALLANTRY - MO TE TOANGA".
The NZGS is awarded ‘for acts of outstanding gallantry in situations of danger'. Recipients of this award are entitled to use the postnominal letters N.Z.G.S. after their names.
About the ribbon
The ribbon is 32 mm in width, and is crimson with white, purple, and white stripes in the centre.
There are no separate Regulations for this award. The administration instructions are included in the Royal Warrant.
Clasps and Bars
Bars can be awarded for subsequent acts of gallantry in situations of danger. The bars are made of silver, are oblong in shape, and bear two New Zealand fern fronds.
Order of Wear
The position of this award in the Wearing of Medals in New Zealand Table can be viewed here.
Further information on the New Zealand Gallantry Star is available on the New Zealand Honours Unit (Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet) website.
Media Statements concerning the New Zealand Gallantry Star
- 9 December 2014 - Gallantry Awards recognise NZSAS service in Afghanistan
- 6 December 2011 - Gallantry awards richly deserved by NZ soldiers
- 1 October 2011 - Defence Force personnel receive awards for gallantry
- 21 September 1999 - New NZ Gallantry and Bravery Awards Approved
Recipients of the New Zealand Gallantry Star
- Corporal Albert Henry MOORE (B1012323), Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment - date of acts: 3 August 2010; location of acts: Afghanistan; year of award: 2011
- Colonel Neville John REILLY, O.N.Z.M. (T30975), Colonels' List, New Zealand Army - year of acts: 1999; location of acts: East Timor; year of award: 2000