New Zealand Gallantry and Bravery Awards - The New Zealand Bravery Decoration (NZBD)
About the New Zealand Bravery Decoration
The New Zealand Bravery Decoration (NZBD) was instituted in 1999 as part of a Government move to replace British awards for bravery with distinctively New Zealand awards. The NZBD replaced the Queen's Gallantry Medal, the Air Force Cross and the Air Force Medal.
The NZBD is a silver cross paty or formy (with straight edges) with, in the centre, a Royal Crown within a wreath of New Zealand fern fronds, both gilt. On the reverse is the inscription "FOR BRAVERY – MO TE MAIA".
The NZBD is awarded ‘for acts of exceptional bravery in situations of danger'. Recipients of this award are entitled to use the postnominal letters N.Z.B.D. after their names.
About the ribbon
The ribbon is 32 mm in width, and bright blue with three narrow vertical stripes of red ochre (kokowhai).
There are no separate Regulations for this award. The administration instructions are included in the Royal Warrant.
Clasps and Bars
Bars can be awarded for subsequent acts of exceptional gallantry in situations of danger. The bars are made of silver, are oblong in shape, and bear two New Zealand fern fronds.
Order of Wear
The position of this award in the Wearing of Medals in New Zealand Table can be viewed here.
Further information on the New Zealand Bravery Decoration is available on the New Zealand Honours Unit (Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet) website.
Media Statements concerning the New Zealand Bravery Decoration
- 2 December 2013 - Police praise New Zealand Bravery Honours recipients
- 2 April 2011 - Minister of Defence: Congratulations on well-deserved bravery awards
- 21 September 1999 - New NZ Gallantry and Bravery Awards Approved
New Zealand Defence Force Recipients of the New Zealand Bravery Decoration
- Terence Albert HOOD, New Zealand Defence Force civilian employee - date of act: 4 July 1989; year of award: 1999
- Wing Commander Anthony Frederick Ronald MILLSOM, Royal New Zealand Air Force (Retired) - date of act: 26 April 2008; year of award: 2011
Information (including the award citations) on other New Zealanders who have been awarded the New Zealand Bravery Decoration is available in the New Year's, Queen's Birthday, and Special Honours Lists since 1995 section of the New Zealand Honours Unit (Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet) website. In particular, see the:
- Special Honours List 1999
- Special Honours List 29 January 2005
- Special Honours List 14 October 2006
- Special Honours List 3 May 2008
- Special Honours List 2 April 2011
- Special Honours List 2 December 2013
- Special Honours List 23 June 2014
- Special Honours List 1 August 2016
- Queen's Birthday Honours List 4 June 2018