New Zealand Gallantry and Bravery Awards
Eight gallantry and bravery awards were instituted by New Zealand in 1999, replacing over 20 British gallantry and bravery awards such as the Victoria Cross, the George Cross, the Military Cross and the Mention in Despatches. The creation of these awards was the final major element in the development of a distinct New Zealand Royal honours system.
The four gallantry awards (the Victoria Cross for New Zealand, the New Zealand Gallantry Star, the New Zealand Gallantry Decoration, and the New Zealand Gallantry Medal) recognise military personnel who carry out acts which put their lives at risk while involved in warlike or non-warlike operational service (including peacekeeping operations). Civilians are eligible for gallantry awards when working on a permanent or temporary basis under the direction or supervision of the New Zealand Defence Force.
The four bravery awards (the New Zealand Cross, the New Zealand Bravery Star, the New Zealand Bravery Decoration, and the New Zealand Bravery Medal) recognise military and civilian personnel who put their lives at risk while saving or attempting to save the life of another person. They may also be awarded to military personnel in operational situations (including peacekeeping) where a gallantry award is not considered appropriate.
All of the gallantry and bravery awards may be awarded posthumously.
In New Zealand, ‘Gallantry’ is defined as enduring great danger during warlike or non-warlike operational service, including peacekeeping, usually in the presence of the enemy, in an admirable and commendable manner.
‘Bravery’ is defined as saving or attempting to save the life of another person in the course of which they place their own life at risk.
Additional information to that contained within this website, including the Guide to Nominations for New Zealand Gallantry Awards can be found on the New Zealand Honours Unit (Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet) website.
Media Statements concerning the New Zealand Gallantry and Bravery Awards
- 3 December 2015 - Gallantry awards mark courage and service
- 3 December 2015 - Special Honours for soldiers
- 9 December 2014 - Gallantry Awards recognise NZSAS service in Afghanistan
- 2 December 2013 - Police praise New Zealand Bravery Honours recipients
- 5 November 2013 - Gallantry Award for Auckland Air Force Pilot
- 20 April 2013 - Gallantry Awards Announced
- 7 September 2012 - Governor-General presents Awards to New Zealand Defence Force personnel
- 6 December 2011 - Gallantry awards richly deserved by NZ soldiers
- 1 October 2011 - Defence Force personnel receive awards for gallantry
- 2 April 2011 - Minister of Defence: Congratulations on well-deserved bravery awards
- 2 July 2007 - NZSAS Gallantry in Afghanistan Recognised
- 21 September 1999 - New NZ Gallantry and Bravery Awards Approved
Information (including the award citations) on New Zealand military personnel who have been awarded New Zealand gallantry and bravery awards since 1999 can be accessed through the links provided below.
- Recipient of the Victoria Cross for New Zealand
- Recipients of the New Zealand Gallantry Star
- Recipients of the New Zealand Gallantry Decoration
- Recipients of the New Zealand Gallantry Medal
- New Zealand Defence Force Recipients of the New Zealand Bravery Decoration
- New Zealand Defence Force Recipients of the New Zealand Bravery Medal
Information (including the award citations) on non-New Zealand Defence Force personnel who have been awarded the New Zealand Bravery Decoration or the New Zealand Bravery Medal is available in the New Year's, Queen's Birthday, and Special Honours Lists since 1995 section of the New Zealand Honours Unit (Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet) website. In particular, see the:
- Special Honours List 1999
- Special Honours List 29 January 2005
- Special Honours List 14 October 2006
- Special Honours List 3 May 2008
- Special Honours List 2 April 2011
- Special Honours List 2 December 2013
- Special Honours List 23 June 2014
- Special Honours List 1 August 2016
Link to Category Ribbons
The Ribbons of the New Zealand Gallantry and Bravery Awards can be viewed here.
First world war and Second world war
Information on how to find the citations for gallantry awards to New Zealand military personnel for acts of gallantry during the First and Second World Wars can be found here.