Foreign Campaign Medals Awarded to New Zealanders - The International Force East Timor Medal
About the International Force East Timor (INTERFET) Medal
This Australian medal was instituted in 2000 by Her Majesty The Queen for award to personnel who served in the Australian led International Force East Timor (INTERFET) in 1999 - 2000. The medal was also offered to New Zealand military personnel who served with INTERFET. In February 2002, the New Zealand Government approved the unrestricted acceptance and wear of the INTERFET Medal by eligible New Zealand personnel.
The (Australian) Regulations for the INTERFET Medal can be viewed here. Note that the eligibility dates for New Zealand personnel are from 20 September 1999 to 22 February 2000, slightly different from those applying to Australian military personnel.
Clasps and Bars
No clasps or bars were issued for this medal.
Order of Wear
The position of this medal in the Wearing of Medals in New Zealand Table can be viewed here.
- 14 March 2002 - INTERFET medals presented to NZDF personnel
- 16 February 2002 - INTERFET Medal accepted
- 27 November 2003 - Next of Kin receive Operational Service Medals - Presentation at the Auckland War Memorial Museum
- 3 September 2003 - Medal Presentation to the Next of Kin of those on the Roll of Honour - Presentation at Parliament Buildings, Wellington
- 10 December 2002 - 3 Squadron Parade and Medal Presentation
- 16 January 2002 - Linton NZBATT4 Parade and Medal Presentation
- 22 August 2001 - Speech to medal presentation ceremony, Christchurch
- 28 March 2001 - Prime Minister presents East Timor medals (the inaugural presentation)
- 28 March 2001 - Prime Minister's speech at the inaugural East Timor Medal presentation