Medals Awarded to New Zealand Military Personnel
This website features the more common medals which have been awarded to New Zealand military personnel since the 1840s. Please click here for more information About the NZDF Medals website.
Use the following links to access medals information and medals contacts quickly.
- 13 March 2014 - The Medallic Recognition Joint Working Group: Service in South-East Asia 1950-2011 - Announcement of the decisions on the recommendations in the Final Report
- Download the Final Report of the Medallic Recognition Joint Working Group: Service in South-East Asia 1950-2011 (pdf format - 2.29 MB)
- ALL MEDALS, INCLUDING THE NZ DEFENCE SERVICE MEDAL - Application Forms and General Enquiries (for all medals)
- SECOND WORLD WAR - Second World War medals, including for Bomber Command, Arctic Convoys, and Home Guard service
- Applications open for the Arctic Star and the Bomber Command Clasp - 30 May 2013
- NZDSM INFORMATION - HOW TO APPLY - Applying for the NZ Defence Service Medal online (by ex-Service persons). Or just click on the How to Apply Online button to the right.
- Paper application forms for the NZDSM (for ex-Service persons and their families)
- ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA & FAQs - NZ Defence Service Medal Frequently Asked Questions and latest updates
- Most popular FAQs about the NZ Defence Service Medal:
- OTHER MEDALS, REVIEWS, AND THE WEARING OF MEDALS
- Thumbnail images of medals and ribbons featured on this website - with direct links to the full information
- Index of Medals - alphabetical index of medals, honours and awards featured or discussed on this website
- Medals Listed by Campaign - since 3 September 1945
- Medals Listed by RNZN Deployment 3 September 1945 to 2013
- First and Second World War Medals - images and information
- South-East Asia 1950-2011 Review - Announcement of the decisions on the recommendations in the Final Report - 13 March 2014
- The Wearing of Medals in New Zealand – a guide to the correct order of wear
- Wearing family member's medals with pride on Anzac Day
- The NZDF Medal Mounting Standard
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - answers to frequently asked questions about medals
- Breaking News – the latest news about new medals and about medallic issues.
- The inaugural awards of the Defence Meritorious Service Medal - 14 July 2014
- Bravery Award for quake rescue efforts - 23 June 2014
- State of the art Archives facility opened at Trentham Military Camp - 19 June 2014
- Police Officer reunites family with piece of history - The New Zealand Memorial Plaque - 12 June 2014
- Four NZDF Personnel receive Queen's Birthday Honours - 2 June 2014
- Update on the Long Service Awards Review - 2 June 2014
- The Medallic Recognition Joint Working Group: Service in South-East Asia 1950-2011 - Announcement of the decisions on the recommendations in the Final Report - 13 March 2014
- Archived Medals News 1999 to 2010 - news from 1999 to 2010 about medals and medallic issues.
Other NZDF News and Events
Medal and Medal Ribbon Information
- Honours, Gallantry and Bravery Awards, Campaign, War, and Long Service Medals - listed by category (with thumbnail images of each medal).
- Medal Ribbons - medal ribbons grouped by category of medal.
- Medals Initiatives 1992 to 2013 - the medals initiatives undertaken since 1992 to recognise operational and non-operational service since 3 September 1945.
- Medals Listed by Campaign – the medallic recognition available for each campaign in which New Zealanders have participated since 3 September 1945.
- Medals Listed by RNZN Deployment 3 September 1945 to 2013 - the medallic recognition available for each deployment of ships of the Royal New Zealand Navy since 3 September 1945.
- War Medals for Service in the First and Second World Wars and in the South African War - 1914-1918, 1939-1945 and 1899-1902
- How to find the Citations for Gallantry Awards to New Zealand Military Personnel 1914 to 1945 - for acts of gallantry during the First and Second World Wars
- Gallantry and Bravery Award Recipients since 1999 - the citations for New Zealand military personnel who have been awarded New Zealand gallantry and bravery awards since 1999.
- Index of Medals - alphabetical index of medals, honours and awards featured or discussed on this website.
Applying For Medals, Wearing Medals, FAQs, and Contacts
- Application forms for medals – the forms for applying for your own or a family member's medals or for replacing lost or stolen medals.
- How to find out what medals you or a family member are entitled to - or to find out which medals were issued and when.
- Miniature medals - the rules on the issue and replacement of miniature medals.
- Wearing medals – the rules for mounting and wearing medals.
- The Wearing of Medals in New Zealand – a guide to the correct order of wear of New Zealand orders, decorations and medals, based on the official New Zealand Order of Wear.
- Medals contacts – the New Zealand Defence Force contact addresses for medals enquiries and medallic issues.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - answers to frequently asked questions about medals.
Medals Posters, Links, and The Vietnam War Oral History Project
- Medals Posters - locations where these posters can be purchased.
- Links to other websites - links to other medals websites, military museums and war memorials, New Zealand military history websites, New Zealand veterans' organisations, and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
- Including to:
- http://ww100.govt.nz - Remembering the First World War - 100 Years On - Be Part of the First World War Centenary
http://www.anzac.govt.nz/index.html - Information about Anzac Day
- includes a search function for information on New Zealanders who died at Gallipoli. Searchable by surname, service number, cemetery, and other keywords.
- The 28th Maori Battalion website - http://www.28maoribattalion.org.nz/
- - recording service during the Second World War by the 28th Maori Battalion.
- The New Zealand Military Nursing website - http://www.nzans.org
- - recording service by New Zealand military nurses from the 19th Century to today.
- The Vietnam War Oral History Project - http://www.vietnamwar.govt.nz
- - a project led by the Ministry for Culture and Heritage to record the memories of New Zealand and the Vietnam War. The Ministry for Culture and Heritage invites those New Zealanders who served in Vietnam and their families to record their memories on this website.
- http://www.stoleme.co.nz - an online National Register of Lost and Stolen Property in New Zealand
- http://www.nzbombercommand.co.nz - New Zealand Bomber Command Association
The New Zealand Roll of Honour - 3 September 1945 to the present.
This website features the more common medals which have been awarded to New Zealand military personnel since the New Zealand Wars of the 1840s and 1860s. It does not attempt to cover medals, which have been awarded to New Zealanders in very small numbers or in unique military circumstances.
Because the military history of New Zealand is inextricably linked with Britain, British medals awarded to New Zealanders have been included. This recognises the fact that many living New Zealanders have been the recipients of British based awards in the past. Both the British and New Zealand system of awards have seen considerable change over the past two decades and a range of indigenous New Zealand awards has now replaced British military and state awards.
The main focus of this website is on military awards, however many military personnel have been, and still are, recipients of the same State Honours which are awarded to the civilian population. Brief coverage of both the British and New Zealand State Honours have been included for that reason.
This page was last reviewed 15 July, 2014 and is current.