Citations for gallantry awards to New Zealand Military Personnel
For the citations for the 13 awards to New Zealand military personnel of the Distinguished Conduct Medal, see the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1899 to 1970 section below.
There are a number of possible ways of obtaining the citation for a gallantry award, if one exists. But it is relatively common for no citations, or only very basic citations, to still exist.
2) The individual's military file.
The military files of individuals who served in the New Zealand military during the First World War are held at Archives New Zealand, Wellington.
The military files of individuals who served in the New Zealand military during the Second World War are held at New Zealand Defence Force Archives, Headquarters New Zealand Defence Force, Trentham Military Camp.
3) Published book on First World War gallantry awards to New Zealand military personnel.
Wayne McDonald, Honours and Awards to the New Zealand Expeditionary Force in the Great War 1914-1918. Revised 2nd edition, published Hamilton: Richard Stowers, 2009. (292 pages). This book contains the citations for the gallantry awards to New Zealand military personnel for their First World War service. The information on, and citations for, each individual are listed alphabetically by surname. The book also provides the date, and page reference, that the award was notified in the London Gazette.
Also see the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1899 to 1970 section below for the published book containing the citations for the 398 awards (including 4 bars) of the Distinguished Conduct Medal for service in the New Zealand military in the First World War.
4) Published book on Second World War gallantry awards to New Zealand air force personnel.
Group Captain C.M. Hanson, By Such Deeds Honours and Awards in the Royal New Zealand Air Force 1923-1999. Published Christchurch: Volplane Press, 2001. (608 pages). This book contains the citations for many of the gallantry awards to New Zealand air force personnel for their service since between 1923 and 1999. For Air Force personnel who also received gallantry awards for the First World War (usually as Army personnel) these awards and citations are also listed. Short biographies and citation(s) for, each individual are listed alphabetically by surname.
5) Published book on Second World War gallantry awards of the Distinguished Conduct Medal (to New Zealand Army personnel)
See the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1899 to 1970 section below for the published book containing the citations for the 109 awards (including 1 bar) of the Distinguished Conduct Medal for service in the New Zealand military in the Second World War.
6) Unpublished files held at Archives New Zealand, Wellington - on Second World War gallantry awards.
For the citations and nomination forms for many gallantry awards for the 3rd NZ Division see:
No accession number
Item reference: 1350 323/3/2/1
Title: Honours and awards - HQ 3 NZ Division in the Pacific 1943/44
7) Regimental or official histories.
If none of the above sources are sufficiently helpful, more information about the activities of the regiment, battalion, unit, on ship, on the date of the individual's actions for which the gallantry award was earnt may be contained in the Regimental or official history for his or her unit or ship. In some cases the individual will also be named in the Regimental or official history.
See Alan J. Polaschek, The Complete New Zealand Distinguished Conduct Medal. Revised edition, published Christchurch: Medals Research Christchurch, 1983. (359 pages). This book contains citations, brief biographies, and lists of other medals awarded to the 525 New Zealand military recipients of the Distinguished Conduct Medal between 1899 and 1970. The book also provides the date, and page reference, that the award was notified in the London Gazette or New Zealand Gazette.
The citations for the 12 South Vietnamese and three United States gallantry awards to New Zealand military personnel for service in Vietnam have been published on the citations for foreign gallantry awards for service in Vietnam page of the NZDF Medals website.
Eight gallantry and bravery awards were instituted by New Zealand in 1999, replacing over 20 British gallantry and bravery awards such as the Victoria Cross, the George Cross, the Military Cross and the Mention in Despatches.
Information (including the award citations) on New Zealand military personnel who have been awarded New Zealand gallantry and bravery awards since 1999 can be accessed through the links provided below.
- Recipients of the Victoria Cross for New Zealand
- Recipients of the New Zealand Gallantry Star
- Recipients of the New Zealand Gallantry Decoration
- Recipients of the New Zealand Gallantry Medal
- Return to the top of this page
- Return to the NZDF Medals homepage
- British Commonwealth Gallantry, Meritorious and Distinguished Service Awards
- New Zealand Gallantry and Bravery Awards
- Campaign medals for service since 3 September 1945 listed by campaign or mission
- Medals Listed by RNZN Deployment 3 September 1945 to 2013
- Medals Initiatives 1992 to 2013 - recognising operational service since 3 September 1945
- Breaking Medals News
- Archived Medals News 1999 to 2010
- Index of medals featured or discussed on this website
- Bibliography of books written about medals
This page was last reviewed 10 January, 2014 and is current.